The Who Qualifies for the Funza Lushaka Bursary? are currently looking to fund undergraduates looking for scholarships.
The Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme is a multi-year programme which promotes teaching as a profession. Find out if you qualify for this bursary programme.
The Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme is a multi-year programme which promotes teaching as a profession. The bursaries are provided so that eligible students may complete a teaching qualification in an area recognised as priority. Applications for the Funza Lushaka Bursary are currently open for 2021 funding so apply now.
The recipients of this bursary will be required to teach at a public school for the same number of years that they received the bursary.
Any academically gifted, young –
- learners, currently in Grade 12;
- graduates who want to complete a teaching qualification (enroll for a PGCE);
- people who want to make a career change and become teachers; and
- unemployed people who want to become teachers.
Applicants must have first gained admission at a recognized higher education institution for the appropriate study programme.
- The bursary is only awarded to South African citizens with a valid South African ID number.
- Allocation of Funza Lushaka bursaries to Higher Education Institution employees, their spouse and their dependents/children is not permissible.
- Bursary applicants must already have been accepted into a either BEd or PGCE qualification at an at an accredited public University.
- The applicant must also meet the national selection criteria for the Funza Lushaka bursary.
- The bursary will only be awarded if two of the priority area subjects are included as a specialisation in the teaching qualification.
- The applicant should demonstrate good academic ability.
- The applicant must show commitment to a teaching career, which includes: interest in working with young people; enthusiasm for a professional career in teaching; readiness to face and surmount difficult challenges and personal integrity.
- The applicant must be committed to teach at any school which they may be appointed to by a provincial education deparrment (PED).
Preference will be given to applicants who reside in rural areas and those who intend on teaching in rural areas.
Those who have other teaching qualifications do not qualify for this bursary programme.
The Closing Date for 2021 applications: 28 February 2021