Universities’ campuses have limited spaces to accommodate all students who applied.
The University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN) for instance is currently experiencing an increase in the number of walk-in applications because a great number of matriculants are looking to gain access to further education.
The Student Representative Council (SRC) is doing a good job in requesting that these students get accommodation—the council has appealed to the university to open late applications, which some departments have agreed to.
The SRC hopes to further communicate with the management of the university to ensure that qualified students gets placed in the university.
The Council is providing students with assistance to apply online, since not all students have the resources to go through the online application process.
You will also be glad to know as a matriculant that although bachelor’s passes were given smaller preference for admission, around 80% of matriculants with a bachelor’s pass may be placed according to the Minister of Higher Education and Training Dr Blade Nzimande.
While the problem persists that Universities have limited space available for first-time entering students, Some universities have released the number of first-year students that they can accommodate. Here is the list of South African universities and their spaces available for first-year students placement at their institution:
- Central University of Technology—4 515
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology—8 878—
- Durban University of Technology—8 564
- Mangosuthu University of Technology—3 300
- Nelson Mandela University—7 185
- North West University—12 726
- Rhodes University—1 455
- Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University—1 000
- Sol Plaatje University—1 674
- Stellenbosch University—5 615
- University of Cape Town—4 039
- University of the Free State—8 000
- University of Fort Hare—16 000
- University of Johannesburg—10 504
- University of KwaZulu-Natal—10 100
- University of Limpopo—5 143
- University of Mpumalanga—2 700
- University of Western Cape—5 400
- University of Pretoria—9 727
- University of South Africa—45 000
- University of Zululand—4 005
- Vaal University of Technology—4 782
- University of Witwatersrand—5 552
Not what you wanted? Use Advanced search
- Duration: 0
Like the Article? If Yes, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel. You can also catch up with us on Facebook, Thanks.
See More: Universities in South Africa