The National Benchmark Tests (NBT) serves as a measure of an applicant’s academic readiness for University. Universities use this as a criterion for admitting new students for many decades. In this article, we will outline the list of universities that require NBT for admission in 2024/2025.
About NBT Domains
The NBT tests students in three domains: Academic Literacy (AL), Quantitative Literacy (QL) and Mathematics (MAT).
The Academic Literacy (AL) test targets a writer’s capacity to engage successfully with the demands of academic study in the medium of instruction of the test.
The Quantitative Literacy (QL) test targets a writer’s ability to manage situations or solve problems in a real context that is relevant to higher education study, using basic quantitative information that may be presented verbally, graphically, or in tabular or symbolic form.
The Cognitive Academic Mathematics Proficiency Test (CAMP) is a three-hour test that targets a writer’s ability related to mathematical concepts formally regarded as part of the secondary school curriculum (Mathematics Papers 1 and 2) relevant for Higher Education studies.
The purpose of the NBTs is to identify academic potential in any learners who have not had access to adequate schooling and to ensure appropriate learning support when they get to university. The strength of the tests lies in the fact that they contribute to and improve success at higher education institutions.
Public Universities that require NBT
Here is the list of public universities that require the NBT test for the admission of students for 2023.
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Central University of Technology
- Durban University of Technology
- Mangosuthu University of Technology
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- North-West University
- Rhodes University
- Stellenbosch University
- Tshwane University of Technology
- University of Cape Town
- University of Fort Hare
- University of the Free State
- University of Johannesburg
- University of KwaZulu-Natal
- University of Limpopo
- The University of Venda for Science and Technology
- University of the Western Cape
- University of the Witwatersrand
- University of Zululand
- Vaal University of Technology
- Walter Sisulu University
- Sol Plaatje University
- University of Mpumulanga.
Private Universities Which Require NBT
Here is the list of private universities that use NBT as a criterion for admission in 2023.
- Monash South Africa
- The Independent Institute of Education:
- Vega School of Brand Leadership
- Rosebank College
- Design School of Southern Africa.
See More: National Benchmark Tests | www.nbt.ac.za