The REAP Online Bursary Application are currently looking to fund undergraduates looking for scholarships.
REAP is a holistic Higher Education Support Programme. In an attempt to reduce poverty and empower young people to improve the quality of their lives, the Rural Education Access Programme (REAP) assists students from rural areas across South Africa to succeed at selected universities.
Please note that this online application form does not cater for TVET institutions.
For successful applicants REAP provides a structured student development programme consisting of financial, psycho-social and skills development support.
REAP no longer provides full-cost bursaries and financial support is limited to R4800 per year for first years and up to R6000 per year for subsequent years.
REAP students are required to do community service each year.
Institutions supported by REAP
REAP supports students at a number of institutions however, you need to be aware that the number of applicants that can be supported at each institution is limited.
We therefore often require that applicants meet specific academic criteria which may be higher for certain institutions and courses.
You can only apply for REAP support if you have applied to study at one of the following institutions:
- Central University of Technology
- Nelson Mandela University
- University of Johannesburg
- University of Kwa-Zulu Natal
- University of the Free State
- University of the Western Cape
REAP Criteria to be considered for support:
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must come from a rural area and have attended a rural school
- You must have written your NSC examinations at a rural school within the previous two (2) years
- You must not be older than 24 years
- Your family/household income (including all grants and contributions) should not exceed R122 000 per year before any deductions (e.g. less than R10 167 per month)
- You must produce proof your family/household income and social grants if requested to do so
- You must have obtained more than 55% average for your NSC examinations (DO NOT use Life Orientation marks when calculating the average)
- You must have applied to study at any one of the institutions listed above.
- You must apply for NSFAS funding. Applications open on 1 August 2019 and close on 30 November 2019. Failure to apply to NSFAS will result in rejection of your REAP application. Click here to find out how to apply.
Conditions of Bursary:
If you are applying to study at Motheo TVET, do not continue with this online application. Send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply:
Completion of the Online Application Form
- Online applications for 2020 open on Monday 4 November 2019 and close on 14 February 2020.
- Read the information on the form carefully.
- You MUST complete ALL SECTIONS of the form.
- Fill in your answers clearly in your own words.
- Answer all questions honestly.
- You must have an email address in order to proceed with this application. Refer to the General Information Section below for a guide on how to set up an email address if you do not have one already.
- The application has three phases. If your phase 1 application is successful, a link will be emailed to you, requesting that you complete phase 2. If your phase 1 application is unsuccessful, a Decline Message will pop up on your screen.
- If your phase 2 application is successful, you will be considered for shortlisting. This will occur between 14-28 February. If you are shortlisted, you will be requested to submit copies of your ID, Proof of Registration on HEI Letterhead, your National Senior Certificate (NSC) and your Grade 12 June and Grade 11 Final results certificates. You will also be invited to attend an information session on your campus on 29 February.
- If you are not shortlisted, you will receive a Decline message by email.
- If you qualify for an interview, you will be contacted by the 28th of February.
- If your application is successful, you will be notified by the end of March.
Previous: Clicks Bursary Scholarship 2021 »
See More: REAP Online Bursary Application