ABALOBI Jobs 2020 for Community Outreach & Training Officer available. See details below on how to apply for the position of a Community Outreach & Training Officer in ABALOBI.
ABALOBI (meaning ‘traditional fisher’ in the isiXhosa language) is a non-profit organisation based in South Africa but with a global reach. They work with small-scale fishers through the use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) and capacity building to foster more sustainable fisheries management and the realisation of thriving coastal fishing communities.
We address inequality, the general lack of fisheries data, safety at sea concerns, and limited market access within small-scale fisheries through our unique ‘Tech & Touch’ approach. Based in Cape Town, South Africa, we operate projects in South Africa, the Comoros and the Seychelles and are scaling our impact globally in 2020.
Their approach to community development and upliftment is expressed through the ABALOBI Theory of Change, based on the hypothesis that sustainable development can only take place through fisheries change pathways that integrate ecological, social and economic concerns. Enabling small-scale fishers to record their own catches and visualise their data collectively, coupled with capacity building, the development of a fully traceable, storied seafood offering and consistent market access will empower them to engage in the market from a more equitable position.
In turn, this will increase the value of their livelihoods and ultimately catalyse fishers’ engagement in adaptive fisheries management and promote thriving, sustainable and equitable small-scale fishing communities. They view fisher livelihoods as much more than catching and selling fish – rather, they are an enterprise that requires a specialised skill set as any other small business owner or co-operative would require. A fisher who embarks on and engages in the ABALOBI Journey will develop his/her skills to contribute to a small community enterprise that will be able to grow and diversify their market access and opportunities. This growth will lead to a broader impact on other individuals and businesses as they too will benefit from these growing networks.
Job Title: Community Outreach & Training Officer
Location: Cape Town
Start date: Start as soon as possible.
Employment Type: This is a short term 6-month contract with job trial period of 60 days, and possibility for extension towards longer term employment.
The purpose of this position is to recruite a tech-savvy, vibrant individual to join their team as a Community Outreach and Training Officer. The purpose of the role is to support and coordinate fisher training engagements as part of ABALOBI’s Community Development (CD) programme. The position will suit a motivated, proactive and organised individual who gets as excited as we do about harnessing ‘touch + tech’ solutions to upskill marginalised communities. The purpose of the role, Community Outreach and Training Officer, is to support and coordinate fisher training engagements as part of ABALOBI’s Community Development (CD) programme. The individual will support the preparation of training materials for both e-learning and in-situ training events. The officer will assist with coordination and implementation of capacity building engagements as well as participating in post event follow-up and evaluation activities. The training officer will also be responsible for coordinating a team of community based coaches, providing assistance, equipping them with materials and monitoring their progress. In addition to explicit training engagements and the community based coach system, the individual will be responsible for running the ABALOBI Fisher app support center, managing our Community Whatsapp channels and driving the uptake and promotion of our Whatsapp based ABALOBI E-Learning Center.
- ABALOBI training and capacity building engagements:
- Work closely with the ABALOBI team to plan, design and coordinate training engagements
- Facilitate fisher training events utilising participatory and interactive methods appropriate for adult learners
- Manage all training materials, collateral and equipment that is deployed for training engagements
- Support (and lead certain) project monitoring, evaluation and learning (PMEL) activities
- Community based coaching system:
- Work with the Programme Manager to recruit and train community based coaches
- Develop with the Programme Manager, materials for the community based coaches to providing basic training and mentoring of fishers
- Ensure coaches are equipped with resources and maintain an inventory of these supplies
- Conduct routine meetings with community based coaches to monitor progress, problem solve and address learning needs of both coaches and fishers
- Utilise a management system for the coaches to monitor progress and time
- Development and curation of fisher training materials and curriculum:
- Assist with the development of ABALOBI training materials and models for e-learning and in-situ learning. This may include, but not limited to, adapting external resources to ABALOBI needs, repackaging content for e-learning, providing materials for coaches
- Monitor uptake and appropriateness of materials, work with the team to refine materials and gather feedback from community members and coaches
- Research learning materials and methods from external sources
- Remote fisher support and communication channels:
- Run the ABALOBI FISHER app support center (phone calls, text messages, Whatsapp) – this includes fishers from several countries
- Manage the weekly digital learning campaign via our Whatsapp channels
- Drive uptake and use of the ABALOBI e-learning bot
- General organisational roles
- Participate in routine staff meetings and routine meetings with the CD team
- Partake (in certain cases lead) PMEL tasks
- Support ABALOBI Social Media activities and document CD activities for the general public
- From time to time and where relevant, support ABALOBI projects and initiatives that may fall outside of the scope of work defined above
- University degree in relevant field or diploma with relevant experience
- Valid South African drivers licence
- Fluent in English and Afrikaans
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working with rural communities
- Experience coordinating and facilitating training engagements for adult community members
- Experience developing materials for capacity building and trainings
- Experience with project monitoring, evaluation and learning (PMEL) systems development and maintenance
- Experience with e-learning platforms and Information Communication Technologies
- Excellent computer skills including Google Suite and MS Office as well as digital media skills
- Very good smartphone, Whatsapp and social media skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to relate to and work effectively with individuals from a wide range of backgrounds
- Ability to travel around the Western Cape, Northern Cape, and possibly the Eastern Cape and occasionally other countries where the ABALOBI technology is deployed for workshops and engagements
- Driven, organised and meticulous in their work, with a high capacity to work independently and also in a team environment
- Desired qualifications and skills:
- Three years or more work experience with a Non-profit organisation and/or social enterprise
- Demonstrable work experience with marginalised communities and facilitating training with adult learners
- Access to own transportation
Applicants should apply by emailing a letter of motivation, resume (CV) as well as a one minute video outlining your motivation for applying to the job to email@example.com.
Contract terms and remuneration
- When not in the field, the position will be home based and the successful applicant will be required to have an adequate work set up. Some support for this will be provided.The applicant will be required to meet for weekly staff workshop in Cape Town and other meeting with the CD team
Application Deadline: Wednesday, 30 September, 2020
For more information about GCRC, refer to http://abalobi.info/about/
Guess this advert on ABALOBI was relevant to you. If not You can leave a comment below, telling Us
the kind of adverts you want to be getting from Us.
Regards from Applicationsa.